Looking for some new, yummy ideas for healthy snacks for your kids? Try one of these easy recipes:
Maple-Cinnamon Roasted Chickpeas:
- 1 (25-ounce) can chickpeas
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup -> try our Coombs Maple syrup from JCW
- Sea salt, for sprinkling
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Rinse and drain chickpeas in a colander. Spread onto several towels to dry, rubbing gently with the towel to help dry and to remove some of the outer skins (don’t worry if they don’t all come off).
- Once chickpeas are totally dry, transfer to rimmed baking sheet and place into a cold oven. Turn heat to 400° while the chickpeas are inside; this helps them dry out more before baking. When oven temperature reaches 400°, set timer for 13–15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, remove sheet from oven and drizzle chickpeas with olive oil and maple syrup; sprinkle with salt. Roll peas around with a rubber spatula so all surfaces are coated. Sprinkle with cinnamon and roll peas again until thoroughly coated. Return to oven and bake for 15 minutes more.
- Turn off oven and leave door cracked for 30 minutes. Remove baking sheet and let cool completely on a wire rack. Store in a sealed container at room temperature.
PER SERVING (1/2 cup): 184 cal, 4g fat (3g mono, 1g poly, 1g sat), 0mg chol, 6g protein, 30g carb, 5g fiber, 264mg sodium
- 3 ripe Hass avocados, peeled and pitted
- 2 small tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper(optional)
- 1/4 cup loose-packed fresh cilantro leaves
- Juice of 1 lime(about 3 tablespoons)
- Scoop out flesh from avocados and place in a bowl; mash with a fork to desired consistency.
- Stir in tomatoes, onion, garlic, salt, cumin, and cayenne pepper. Fold in cilantro and lime juice. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking. Chill for 30 minutes (if your kids can wait that long!).
PER SERVING (1/2 cup): 355 cal, 28g fat (20g mono, 4g poly, 4g sat), 0mg chol, 6g protein, 25g carb, 15g fiber, 607mg sodium