Looking for ideas to spruce up your Valentine’s Day….while keeping it healthy? There are lots of delicious and heart healthy foods that can be part of a special Valentine’s Day meal or treat.
- Start your meal with a colorful mixed salad that includes heart-healthy fats such as avocado and an olive oil vinaigrette.
- Tree nuts are another source of healthy fats. Toss a handful of pistachio nuts, walnuts or almonds into your salad or cooked veggies for added health and flavor.
- Plan a delicious seafood entrée. Fish has much less saturated fat than red meat, and provides a great source of omega-3 fatty acids.
- Red foods are a natural on Valentine’s Day, and they are rich in antioxidant polyphenols that are heart-healthy. So have some red wine with your meal.
- Chocolate is another natural for the holiday. Choose a small piece of plain dark, bittersweet chocolate, rather than white chocolate, milk chocolate, or chocolate desserts that have much less of the beneficial compounds known to help the heart.
Maybe cap off your meal with a nice walk, if this snow ever melts! And don’t forget that just spending time with someone or a beloved pet can be good for your heart!
Have a lovely Valentine’s Day!