Here are a few helpful tips to prevent you from packing on those unwanted pounds this holiday season:
Before you attend that Holiday Party/Event:
- Try not to save up your calories. You will probably become more ravenous and be likely to overindulge.
- Try to snack lightly before the party. Try a salad or some soup…this may help you to pass up on more food at the party.
- Eat a high fiber breakfast; this will keep you feeling full and satisfied longer. Try some oatmeal or whole grain cereal.
While are the Party:
- Try and prepare for your food choices at a buffet by surveying the food to determine your decision.
- Choose high protein foods, vegetables and lay off the starches.
- Only choose the foods you really want, forget about trying to load up your plate with every dish!
- If you do indulge in some of your favorite foods, take smaller portions.
- Try and socialize more with friends/relatives. This may be a good way to keep you away from the food.
- Try and enjoy your meal. Sit down, take your time eating and let your food digest.
And try to limit your alcohol consumption. A glass of wine/beer is great, but there are many empty calories in alcoholic beverages – not to mention if you don’t eat while consuming…you’re likely to make some poor choices when at the buffet table.
And if you can, try and sneak out for a nice walk or hike! Get that exercise in when you can so you won’t feel as guilty after your big meal!
Happy and Healthy Holidays!