If you are someone who has recently had to adjust to the “work from home” lifestyle, you are not alone. Due to this coronavirus (COVID-19) crisis, many people who have never experienced working from home are now having to work remotely. If your daily routine typically consisted of spending the majority of your day away from home, and either eating lunch at home or going out to eat, now is a great time to learn how to be healthy with your snack choices. A balanced diet provides key immune supporting nutrients and decreases inflammation, an important factor in warding off illness.
As a dietitian, I reccomend prioritizing nutrient dense meals and 3 filling meals each day. Keeping snacks to a minimum allows your body to better digest food and keep blood sugar in blanace (causing less cravings later on!). When those feelings of hunger do arise between meals, focus on vegetables and protein. Protein helps us stay fuller longer which is a great benefit when a lot of the day is spent sitting in the same space in front of a computer, and will cut down on how often trips are made to the pantry. Something as simple as a small salad and a hard boiled egg, or carrots and nuts will keep you energized and satiated when you are focused and working hard at your desk.
Here are some healthy snacking stay at home tips:
- Don’t forget to stay hydrated! Properly hydrating can help curb cravings
- When eating packaged foods, choose ones with real and minimal ingredients
- Designate different spaces at home for working and eating
- Get creative! Think of snacks as mini meals and have fun mixing and matching protein, vegetables and fats for a well balanced snack
Here is the Johnson Compounding and Wellness Top 8 healthy “Work from Home Snacks” to help get you through a busy day:
3. 88 Acres Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Seed Bar – Based in Massachusetts, these bars are gluten and nut free, making them a delicious snack!
4. Safe Catch Salmon Packets – These shelf-stable individual fish packets are tested for mercury and can be added to salads, pasta or any other meal!
5. Ocean’s Halo Seaweed Snacks – Salty and crispy seaweed snacks make for a nutritious snack. You can also crumble them up and sprinkle them on salads or vegetables of a savory boost of minerals!